Ottawa, ON, January 16, 2017 – According to statistics released today by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA), national home sales were up on a month-over-month basis in December 2016.
- National home sales rose 2.2% from November to December.
- Actual (not seasonally adjusted) activity in December was down 5.0% from a year earlier.
- The number of newly listed homes dropped 3.0% from November to December.
- The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) in December was up 14.2% year-over-year (y-o-y).
- The national average sale price climbed 3.5% y-o-y in December.
The number of homes trading hands via Canadian MLS® Systems rose 2.2 % month-over-month in December 2016. The rebound recovered less than half of the drop in activity from October to November, when it posted the biggest monthly retreat in more than four years after tightened mortgage regulations came into effect.
Activity was up on a month-over-month basis in about 60% of all local markets, led by Calgary and Edmonton...